Monday, April 19, 2010

Along for the ride...

Ever had the absolute splendid pleasure of taking a drive JUST for the heck of it? Not caring where you go, or how long you'll be gone; just willing to sit and soak in the still pictures you're fortunate to capture as the world whizzes past. Happiness. You meander along countryside and cityscape's, sans windows, reveling in authenticity of the world around you. The wind shouting in your ear that THIS is living. Being carefree never felt so natural!



You can't peg such a feeling with one word...but with three. Anticipation. Contentment. Peace. They're inexplicably intertwined with love and gratitude that becomes nothing short of an out-of-this-world experience. Every Christian, every human for that matter, seeks for such harmony. Sadly, few find it.


Perhaps these feelings, or to put it more accurately, this perspective is what Paul was trying to convey in Philippians 4:11-12, "Not that I speak from want for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both having abundance and suffering need."

What is this secret? Is it really a secret? A unattainable truth? On those rare occasions when my mind and heart are at a "hush", the desire to know and live it becomes glaringly obvious to my soul. It's that glare that proves it's still very much available to an open heart. But an open heart must look squarely at its spiritual state and the meaning of life as exposed by none other than the Holy Spirit. A journey I find myself on today.

What started as a classic drive down a peaceful lane proved to be an opportunity to expose the deeper spiritual longings in my heart. Something tells me that this a ride I won't want to miss...

No comments:

Post a Comment