Thursday, April 29, 2010

Along for the ride...Part 2

"I have learned to be content...I have learned the secret", Paul boldly states to the believers in Philippi.

I have often wondered if these two verses in chapter 4, coupled with "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain," from chapter 1 embody the meaning of "walking in Christ". Simple, child-like faith in Christ.

To be content is a learning process. That much I have realized. This secret isn't revealed in one "light bulb" moment that gets tucked under our belts, but rather step-by-step revelations as we gain more and more sensitivity toward the Holy Spirit . Small increment lessons, called experiences weave their way in and out along this journey our Father provides. Opportunities to learn are often right in front of us, but we usually speed past them with an annoyed, perhaps even angry glance because they frequently come in the form of waiting. We look for action, ready to just DO something, make that "super-imperative" decision just to satisfy our impatient hearts and minds. Similarly, not knowing what lays ahead causes wrecks. Chaining many a Christian to their swirling doubts and fears when its quiet, simple trust that we are called to submit.

When we're along for the ride, content to sit in the passenger seat allowing Christ to drive us along according to HIS will, life gets that naturally carefree, abandoned-type feeling. This contentment is still present even when bumps, forks in the road, and reckless other "drivers" would cause anxiety and disorder. (Philippians 4:7)

I've had a fair share of potentially contentment inducing experiences over the past year...to my regret; I let many of them slip by. But one has come along that can't be ignored. Witnessing the Father work each detail out has excited my soul, and left my heart in awe of His faithfulness. He is simplifying my life, and all my thoughts/presuppositions about this walking as a “Christian” in a radical way that is truly humbling. Allow me to share portions of this journey with you as I continue to learn...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea -- not sure this comment will post. I'm not the most techy person there is -- and maybe I have to have a blogspot account?! Anyway, enjoyed this article! Keep up the writing! Susie

    ReplyDelete