Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How would you like that cooked?

Would you help me with something? I need your assistance in coming up with a few unique and probing questions that will give me specific insight.

I've been cooking as a personal chef for close to a year now. Whether its following a recipe or creating a new dish on my own, my ultimate goal is that it will be to my client's particular liking, regardless of whether I would even eat the dish or not. If there is any stress in my job, it would be here. Believe it or not, as personal as food is people can tend to be too vague about how they truly like it (I'll frequently get the "oh, nothing too spicy...you know what I like, surprise me!" I don't know what you like, that's why I'm asking *sigh*), giving me little to work with as I blindly make something, hoping it will hit their fancy. As I look at expanding my mini-business, I've realized that I need to arm myself with a slew of probing questions that will assist me in my effort to provide more than satisfying cuisine.


And here's where you come in. What would be a good question to ask? A question that will MAKE someone give me a specific answer. Taste buds can be tricky things.

Muchas gracias!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chelsea! At the restaurant here in austin, we did a prix-fixe tasting menu that was composed based on a little interview we gave the guests when they ordered. It really helps!
    We asked:
    1. First things first, are there any allergies?
    2. Is there anything that you just dont like that we should stay away from as if you were allergic to it?
    3. On the other end of the spectrum, is there anything you love that we should try to include? (emphasis on the TRY, didnt wanna make any promises we couldnt keep! haha!)
    4. On a scale from 1-10 how spicy do you like your food, 10 being the highest?
    5. Do you like bold flavors, such as Indian/Thai spices, blue cheeses, etc...
    (I personally found that this one was a great indicator of personal preference. If someone says YES I love bold flavors, but their example of bold is roasted garlic, then you have a better idea of what they like)
    6. Are you comfortable with raw foods like tartare, sashimi, or carpaccio?
    7. Do you eat organ meats like liver, etc?
    8. Are you vegetarian, or do you want a vegetarian course included?
    9. If you eat meat, what temperature do you like your meats prepared?
    10. Do you like more meat or more seafood?
    11. If you like seafood, what type do you prefer? Shellfish v. Salmon, etc..
    12. Would you describe yourself as an adventurous eater, or do you tend to like more traditional foods?

    Hope this helps! It usually got people talking about their likes and dislikes rather than just asking them to list stuff. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yea and when you ask about meats, ask if they like game meats, and if they say yes, double check by going down a list. elk, venison, lamb, bison, quail, etc...some people even consider farm raised rabbit to be game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. How do you add to what Tonia said!?!? :) What a wonderful reply. :)
    A few things I've noticed here that I've learned to ask are,
    1. Do you like your noodles (and veggies at times) cooked aldante (I think that's the word) so they're just a bit firm, or fully cooked?
    2. How large do you like chunks (in salads, soups, etc.)
    3. Do you prefer that I cook with butter or a substitute?
    4. Meat: rare, medium rare, or well done?
    5. What sort of desserts do you prefer? (Fruit types or chocolate, cakes or pies, etc.)
    5. Why on earth are you so picky?

    Oops, maybe leave that last one out....

    One idea would be to type up a questionnaire with these and the other questions you get, and when a person hires you ask them to sit down and fill it in. They might feel more comfortable being "particular" on a paper as opposed to your face.

    Oh and speaking of that face! I love the adorable picture of you. :) You have such large beautiful eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete