Friday, July 8, 2011

What You Have When You Have Jesus

Sometimes I really wish I didn't have to be at work at 9am.

This week I was late a few minutes almost every day (I was having one of those weeks where I just couldn't get myself organized). Just as I would pull into my parking spot I would catch a few minutes of who would be teaching on the local Moody radio program, Today in the Word, as it would start. The soulful voice of Rev. E. V. Hill caught my attention as did the title of his message, What You Have When You Have Jesus. For a split second I was truly debating whether to be super late to work...but my commitment to my job won out. I was however, fortunate to hear enough to get me thinking. What DO we have when we have Jesus? As I caught snippets of part 1 and 2 of Rev. Hill's message over the past two mornings (no, I was not late on purpose lol) he shared how we have a peace with God and the peace of God. A major component for sure, but just the tip of the iceberg.

The writer of Hebrews urges us to "consider Jesus," and as we do so we can't help but be in complete awe of what goes with our association with Him. In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, he encourages them with the thought that they have been "blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places." And this is just the beginning of a list that would definitely circle the earth twice over. Have you taken a moment to think about what you have when you have Jesus?

"Study to know the value of His blessings. They are not ordinary things, like costume jewelry or imitation gemstones. Instead, every one of them is so costly that, if all heaven had been drained of treasure, apart from precious offering of the Redeemer, not the least of His benefits could be purchased. When you see your pardon, consider how great a blessing is contained in it! Hell would have been your eternal portion if Christ had not plucked you from the fire! When you are enabled to see yourself as clothed in the imputed righteousness of Jesus, admire the profusion of precious things of which your robe is made." Charles Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment